When most people think of calling it quits on a career, they immediately think of a move to Florida.
But not everyone wants to spend their golden years in Florida; some of us want to stay close to friends and family and within the great state of North Dakota.
But where exactly in North Dakota? Well, there’s only one place to go for the answer — data.
To that end, we have tried to identify the places in North Dakota that are safe, affordable, and have plenty of things to keep you busy well into retirement.
What did we find after pouring through all the data? Let’s just say we hope folks in Harvey don’t mind us spreading the word.
Here are our top ten places in the Peace Garden State to retire for 2018:
- Harvey (Homes For Sale)
- Carrington (Homes For Sale)
- Cavalier (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Stanley (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Rugby (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Beulah (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Grafton (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Ellendale (Homes For Sale)
- Hillsboro (Homes For Sale)
- Lisbon (Photos | Homes For Sale)
How We Determined The Best Places To Retire In the Peace Garden State
To create our list of the best places in North Dakota to retire, we first used Census data to find all places in the Peace Garden State with a population of at least 5,000 that aren’t townships.
This left us with 29 places from across the state.
For these 29, we looked at the following criteria taken from the Census, the FBI’s Crime Report, National Weather Service, and OpenFlights:
- Low cost of living as measured by rent
- Low crime
- Things to do (Museums, Colleges, and Libraries in town)
- Nice weather
- Distance to the closest international airport
- Other retirees (High median age)
We then ranked each of these places for each criteria from one to 29, with the lowest number being the best.
Finally, we took the average rank across these criteria. The place, in this case Harvey, with the lowest average rank was crowned the best of the best, a place for you to start your second careers.
Maybe You’re Not Ready To Retire Yet…
So there you have it, the best place to retire in North Dakota goes to Harvey.
If you’re not ready to hang up your office apparel yet, then these places might be up your alley:
For more North Dakota reading , check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In North Dakota
- These Are The 10 Richest Cities In North Dakota For 2018
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In North Dakota
Detailed List Of Best Places To Retire In North Dakota