You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Alabama, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Heart Of Dixie and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Alabama based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Alabama ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Alabama for 2018:
- Highland Lakes (Homes For Sale)
- Indian Springs Village (Homes For Sale)
- Lake View (Homes For Sale)
- Priceville (Homes For Sale)
- Kimberly (Homes For Sale)
- Morris (Homes For Sale)
- Mount Olive CDP (Jefferson County) (Homes For Sale)
- Shoal Creek (Homes For Sale)
- Blue Ridge (Homes For Sale)
- Springville (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Highland Lakes, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Heart Of Dixie check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Alabama
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Alabama
- 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Alabama
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Alabama
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 196 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 196, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Alabama. Top of that list — Highland Lakes.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Alabama.
1. Highland Lakes
2. Indian Springs Village
3. Lake View
7. Mount Olive Cdp (Jefferson County)
8. Shoal Creek
9. Blue Ridge
12. Smoke Rise
14. Hokes Bluff
16. Grayson Valley
17. Dauphin Island
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Alabama are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Alabama:
For more Alabama reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Alabama
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In Alabama
- 10 Safest Places In Alabama
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In Alabama
- 10 Worst Places To Live In Alabama
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Alabama
|2||Indian Springs Village||2,529|
|7||Mount Olive Cdp (Jefferson County)||4,237|
|29||Owens Cross Roads||1,799|
|100||Bayou La Batre||2,532|