You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Arkansas, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Natural State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Arkansas based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Arkansas ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Arkansas for 2018:
- Lake Hamilton (Homes For Sale)
- Cave Springs (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Austin (Homes For Sale)
- Greenland (Homes For Sale)
- Johnson (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Rockwell (Homes For Sale)
- Salem (Homes For Sale)
- Elm Springs (Homes For Sale)
- West Fork (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Little Flock (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Lake Hamilton, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Natural State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Arkansas
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Arkansas
- 10 Most Dangerous Places in Arkansas
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Arkansas
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 142 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 142, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Arkansas. Top of that list — Lake Hamilton.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Arkansas.
1. Lake Hamilton
2. Cave Springs
8. Elm Springs
9. West Fork
10. Little Flock
12. Prairie Creek
14. Shannon Hills
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Arkansas are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Arkansas:
- Horseshoe Bend
For more Arkansas reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Arkansas
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In Arkansas
- 10 Safest Places In Arkansas
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In Arkansas
- 10 Worst Places To Live In Arkansas
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Arkansas