You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Florida, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Sunshine State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Florida based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Florida ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Florida for 2019:
- Indian River Shores (Homes For Sale)
- Pine Ridge CDP (Collier County) (Homes For Sale)
- Vineyards (Homes For Sale)
- Highland Beach (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Whiskey Creek (Homes For Sale)
- Harbor Bluffs (Homes For Sale)
- Melbourne Beach (Homes For Sale)
- Hillsboro Beach (Homes For Sale)
- Island Walk (Homes For Sale)
- The Meadows (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Indian River Shores, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Sunshine State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Florida
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Florida
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Florida
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Florida
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 270 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 270, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Florida. Top of that list — Indian River Shores.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Florida.
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Florida are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Florida:
- East Bronson
For more Florida reading, check out:
- 30 Things To Know About Moving To Florida
- These Are The 10 Richest Cities In Florida
- 10 Safest Places In Florida
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Florida
|1||Indian River Shores||4,112|
|2||Pine Ridge Cdp (Collier County)||1,978|
|12||Burnt Store Marina||1,998|
|18||Palm Beach Shores||1,202|
|22||Indian Rocks Beach||4,192|
|26||Lake Clarke Shores||3,541|
|27||North Redington Beach||1,417|
|32||Whitfield Cdp (Manatee County)||3,215|
|39||North Key Largo||1,009|
|51||South Palm Beach||1,400|
|53||Lake Mary Jane||1,808|
|63||Big Coppitt Key||2,994|
|65||Lochmoor Waterway Estates||4,363|
|69||Daytona Beach Shores||4,393|
|75||Lake Belvedere Estates||4,209|
|77||North River Shores||3,405|
|96||Lower Grand Lagoon||3,669|