You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Kentucky, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Bluegrass State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Kentucky based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Kentucky ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Kentucky for 2018:
- Indian Hills (Homes For Sale)
- Audubon Park (Homes For Sale)
- Windy Hills (Homes For Sale)
- Hurstbourne (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Beechwood Village (Homes For Sale)
- St. Regis Park (Homes For Sale)
- Orchard Grass Hills (Homes For Sale)
- Graymoor-Devondale (Homes For Sale)
- Barbourmeade (Homes For Sale)
- Northfield (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Indian Hills, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Bluegrass State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Kentucky
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Kentucky
- 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Kentucky
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Kentucky
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 154 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 154, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Kentucky. Top of that list — Indian Hills.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Kentucky.
1. Indian Hills
2. Audubon Park
3. Windy Hills
5. Beechwood Village
6. St. Regis Park
7. Orchard Grass Hills
11. Lakeside Park
13. Crestview Hills
15. Crescent Springs
16. Elk Creek
18. Hurstbourne Acres
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Kentucky are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Kentucky:
- Pine Knot
For more Kentucky reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Kentucky
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In Kentucky
- 10 Safest Places In Kentucky
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In Kentucky
- 10 Worst Places To Live In Kentucky
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Kentucky
|6||St. Regis Park||1,453|
|7||Orchard Grass Hills||1,787|
|60||Coal Run Village||1,609|