You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Michigan, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Wolverine State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Michigan based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Michigan ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Michigan for 2018:
- Pleasant Ridge (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Village of Grosse Pointe Shores (Homes For Sale)
- DeWitt (Homes For Sale)
- Frankenmuth (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Franklin (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Lathrup Village (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Bloomfield Hills (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Caledonia (Homes For Sale)
- Spring Lake (Homes For Sale)
- Stevensville (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Pleasant Ridge, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Wolverine State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Michigan
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Michigan
- 10 Most Dangerous Places in Michigan
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Michigan
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 256 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 256, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Michigan. Top of that list — Pleasant Ridge.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Michigan.
1. Pleasant Ridge
2. Village Of Grosse Pointe Shores
6. Lathrup Village
7. Bloomfield Hills
9. Spring Lake
11. North Muskegon
12. Edgemont Park
13. Lake Orion
14. Elk Rapids
15. Sylvan Lake
17. South Gull Lake
19. Trowbridge Park
20. West Ishpeming
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Michigan are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Michigan:
- Skidway Lake
- St. Helen
- White Cloud
For more Michigan reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Michigan
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In Michigan
- 10 Safest Places In Michigan
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In Michigan
- 10 Worst Places To Live In Michigan
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Michigan
|2||Village Of Grosse Pointe Shores||2,933|
|17||South Gull Lake||1,298|
|28||Orchard Lake Village||2,517|