You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Minnesota, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the North Star State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Minnesota based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Minnesota ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Minnesota for 2018:
- Deephaven (Homes For Sale)
- Carver (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Long Lake (Homes For Sale)
- Oronoco (Homes For Sale)
- Elko New Market (Homes For Sale)
- North Oaks (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Wayzata (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Tonka Bay (Homes For Sale)
- Circle Pines (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Oak Park Heights (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Deephaven, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the North Star State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Minnesota
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Minnesota
- 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Minnesota
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Minnesota
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 215 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 215, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Minnesota. Top of that list — Deephaven.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Minnesota.
3. Long Lake
5. Elko New Market
6. North Oaks
8. Tonka Bay
9. Circle Pines
10. Oak Park Heights
12. Eagle Lake
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Minnesota are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Minnesota:
- Red Lake
- Little Rock
For more Minnesota reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Minnesota
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In Minnesota
- 10 Safest Places In Minnesota
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In Minnesota
- 10 Worst Places To Live In Minnesota
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Minnesota
|5||Elko New Market||4,472|
|10||Oak Park Heights||4,790|
|35||East Gull Lake||1,012|
|49||Lake St. Croix Beach||1,071|
|63||Norwood Young America||3,655|