You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in New Mexico, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Land Of Enchantment and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in New Mexico based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in New Mexico ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in New Mexico for 2018:
- Sandia Heights (Homes For Sale)
- La Huerta (Homes For Sale)
- San Antonito CDP (Bernalillo County) (Homes For Sale)
- Sandia Knolls (Homes For Sale)
- Ranchos de Taos (Homes For Sale)
- San Ysidro (Homes For Sale)
- Bosque Farms (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Placitas CDP (Sandoval County) (Homes For Sale)
- El Rancho (Homes For Sale)
- Arenas Valley (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Sandia Heights, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Land Of Enchantment check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In New Mexico
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In New Mexico
- 10 Most Dangerous Cities In New Mexico
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In New Mexico
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 91 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 91, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in New Mexico. Top of that list — Sandia Heights.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in New Mexico.
1. Sandia Heights
2. La Huerta
3. San Antonito Cdp (Bernalillo County)
4. Sandia Knolls
5. Ranchos De Taos
6. San Ysidro
7. Bosque Farms
8. Placitas Cdp (Sandoval County)
9. El Rancho
10. Arenas Valley
11. Ponderosa Pine
12. La Mesilla
15. Las Maravillas
16. Santa Rosa
18. Elephant Butte
19. La Cienega
20. El Cerro
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in New Mexico are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in New Mexico:
- Monterey Park
For more New Mexico reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In New Mexico
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In New Mexico
- 10 Safest Places In New Mexico
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In New Mexico
- 10 Worst Places To Live In New Mexico
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In New Mexico
|3||San Antonito Cdp (Bernalillo County)||1,186|
|5||Ranchos De Taos||2,197|
|8||Placitas Cdp (Sandoval County)||4,853|
|51||El Valle De Arroyo Seco||1,447|
|61||El Cerro Mission||4,606|
|79||San Felipe Pueblo||2,858|
|80||Santo Domingo Pueblo||2,737|