You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in New York, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Empire State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in New York based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in New York ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in New York for 2019:
- Kensington (Homes For Sale)
- Halesite (Homes For Sale)
- Orchard Park (Homes For Sale)
- Clarence Center (Homes For Sale)
- Roslyn Estates (Homes For Sale)
- Pittsford (Homes For Sale)
- Katonah (Homes For Sale)
- Manhasset Hills (Homes For Sale)
- Cayuga Heights (Homes For Sale)
- East Williston (Photos | Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Kensington, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Empire State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In New York
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In New York
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In New York
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In New York
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 458 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 458, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in New York. Top of that list — Kensington.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in New York.
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in New York are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in New York:
For more New York reading, check out:
- 30 Things To Know About Moving To New York
- These Are The 10 Richest Cities In New York
- 10 Safest Places In New York According To Science
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In New York
|13||East Atlantic Beach||1,943|
|23||Oyster Bay Cove||2,140|
|31||Great Neck Estates||2,840|
|32||Village Of The Branch||1,927|
|55||Great Neck Gardens||1,240|
|60||West Bay Shore||4,745|
|65||Shelter Island Heights||1,264|
|75||Red Oaks Mill||3,516|
|79||Port Washington North||3,233|
|82||Garden City South||4,096|
|85||Head Of The Harbor||1,308|