You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Washington, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Evergreen State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Washington based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Washington ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Washington for 2018:
- Yarrow Point (Homes For Sale)
- Medina (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Clyde Hill (Homes For Sale)
- Woodway (Homes For Sale)
- Walla Walla East (Homes For Sale)
- Larch Way (Homes For Sale)
- Monroe North (Homes For Sale)
- Wilderness Rim (Homes For Sale)
- Chico (Homes For Sale)
- Browns Point (Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Yarrow Point, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Evergreen State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Washington
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Washington
- 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Washington
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Washington
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 194 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 194, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Washington. Top of that list — Yarrow Point.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Washington.
1. Yarrow Point
3. Clyde Hill
5. Walla Walla East
6. Larch Way
7. Monroe North
8. Wilderness Rim
10. Browns Point
14. Lake Marcel-Stillwater
15. Lake Holm
17. Port Ludlow
18. Maple Heights-Lake Desire
19. La Center
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Washington are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Washington:
- Peaceful Valley
- Moses Lake North
- Neah Bay
For more Washington reading, check out:
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Washington
- These Are The 10 Fastest Growing Cities In Washington
- 10 Safest Places In Washington
- 10 Best Cities For Singles In Washington
- 10 Worst Places To Live In Washington
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Washington
|5||Walla Walla East||1,729|
|18||Maple Heights-Lake Desire||3,512|
|64||Erlands Point-Kitsap Lake||3,095|