You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in West Virginia, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Mountain State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in West Virginia based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in West Virginia ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in West Virginia for 2019:
- Bethany (Homes For Sale)
- Pinch (Homes For Sale)
- Bethlehem (Homes For Sale)
- Glen Dale (Homes For Sale)
- Barrackville (Homes For Sale)
- Mineralwells (Homes For Sale)
- Winfield (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Falling Waters (Homes For Sale)
- Barboursville (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Williamstown (Photos | Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Bethany, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Mountain State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In West Virginia
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In West Virginia
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In West Virginia
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In West Virginia
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 118 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 118, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in West Virginia. Top of that list — Bethany.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in West Virginia.
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in West Virginia are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in West Virginia:
- Gilbert Creek
- Mount Hope
For more West Virginia reading, check out:
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In West Virginia
|75||White Sulphur Springs||2,667|