You’ve seen these lists before: Best places to live in Wisconsin, Most Beautiful Downtowns, etc., etc. But all of them focus on major cities and towns in the Badger State and no one pays attention to the little guy.
Well, that’s all about to change as we put together a list of the best small towns in Wisconsin based on numbers–not opinions or hearsay.
We’ll dive right into our methodology in the next section; but first, we thought you might just want to know which places in Wisconsin ranked the based–you know, based on science.
Before we get to the top 20, here’s a look at the 10 Best Small Towns To Live in Wisconsin for 2019:
- Shorewood Hills (Homes For Sale)
- Maple Bluff (Homes For Sale)
- Bayside (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Merton (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Cross Plains (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Wind Point (Homes For Sale)
- Okauchee Lake (Homes For Sale)
- Prairie du Sac (Homes For Sale)
- Howards Grove (Photos | Homes For Sale)
- Combined Locks (Photos | Homes For Sale)
If you live in one of these small towns like Shorewood Hills, chances are, you’re not surprised. After all, you know how great you have it.
But for the rest of you–keep reading and we’ll get to just why these small towns made our list.
For more reading on the Badger State check out:
- 10 Best Places To Live In Wisconsin
- 10 Cheapest Places To Live In Wisconsin
- 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In Wisconsin
How We Determined The Coolest Towns In Wisconsin
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using the most recent data from the Census’s 2012-2016 American Community Survey and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is the criteria we used:
- Population Density (Higher is better)
- Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Housing costs (Higher is better. More demand.)
- Adjusted Median Income (Higher is better)
- Highly Educated Adults (Higher is better)
- Insurance Rates (Higher is better)
- Commute Times (Lower is better)
We looked at places with populations lower than 5,000 people and greater than 1,000, of which, there were a lot – 235 to be exact.
We then ranked each place in each category with scores from 1 to 235, averaged them out, and the lowest scores went to our Best Small Towns in Wisconsin. Top of that list — Shorewood Hills.
Keep reading to find out more about our top 20 best small towns in Wisconsin.
Science Can Tackle Any Issue, Even Small Ones
We said it once and we’ll say it again — this list: it’s just science. We did the research, we crunched the numbers, and it turns out, these 20 small towns in Wisconsin are the best, in which to live.
And who can argue with that?
If you’re curious, here are the worst small towns in Wisconsin:
- Little Round Lake
For more Wisconsin reading, check out:
Detailed List Of The Best Small Towns In Wisconsin
|8||Prairie Du Sac||4,248|