1. You will drive north on the east pkwy south and that will make complete sense.
2. You will experience the time of your life at Memphis In May and go back every year for more than just the BBQ.
3. You will hear of a thing called Panchos Cheese Dip and it will change your relationship with chips forever.
4. You will learn that fried catfish and spaghetti go together.
These two items will be at every fish fry with white bread and Louisiana hot sauce.
5. You will change your schedule around to fit in a Memphis Tigers game.
6. You will go to church on Sunday morning or be in a total ghost town.
7. You will exclaim “201” and everyone knows exactly where you are talking about — no street name required.
8. You will try as many BBQ places a you possibly can and fall in love with ‘Vous.
9. And then you will try The BAR-B-Q Shop and realize that it’s ok to marry multiple bbq joints.
10. You will develop a love affair with the Memphis Grizzlies.
11. You will have your choice of the best local brews, but secretly choose WiseAcre Brew above all.
At least I did.
12. You will take in an amazing sunset at Beale Street Landing over the Mississippi River.
13. You will get excited for summer and some awesome food trucks at Memphis Botanic Gardens.
14. You will go to Beale Street because it’s Beale Street, but will soon find your own favorite street in town.
15. You will take in some awesomeness at Orpheum Theatre and tell all your friends about it.
16. You will crave a pastry from Muddys Bake Shop in the middle of the week and might be late to work that day because of it.
17. You will have one fried chicken god and his name is Gus’ World Famous Fried Chicken.
18. You will know that only tourists go to Graceland (after you went to check it out yourself).
19. You will get asked “Where did you go to high school?” and the answer matters.
20. You will meet a guy that has a gun in his house, car, motorcycle, and wife’s car.
Check out Range USA.
21. You will see a live performance in Overton Square.
22. You will start to feel nostalgic when you hear people say Memphis State.
23. You will find out that slaw comes ON the BBQ sandwich.
You shouldn’t be asked. And this is the awesomeness you get at Payne’s BBQ.
24. You will say “mane” at least twice in one sentence.
25. You will avoid Poplar Avenue at all costs.
26. You will check out Gibson’s Donuts again and again and again.
27. You will come to understand that midtown is between Cleveland and Parkway. Anything past the Parkway is Out East.
Oh and Germantown is not Memphis.
28. You will ask for a coca-cola and the waiter knows that means “Where’s my sprite?”
29. You will hear stories of Justin Timberlake sightings and might have one of your own.
30. You will eat a hamburger at Huey’s and never go to any other hamburger joint again.