1. You will call all carbonated beverages “pop” but what you will really mean is Faygo, always Faygo and only Faygo…
Source: jeffisageek via flickr
Advertisement. Article Continues Below.
2. Unless of course you mean Vernors. Which also just happens to be a Michigan-made miracle cure because Vernors makes everything better…
3. Especially, vanilla ice cream… mmm Boston Cooler #drool
Source: bobjudge via flickr
4. You will learn that trolls are real and living amongst us, well, below the Mighty Mac anyway.
Source: LadyDragonflyCC – >;< via flickr
5. You will master the arcane art of maneuvering the Michigan Left… someday… sigh.
Source: Christopher J. Bessert via wikicommons, Ben + Sam via flickr
6. You will feel in your breast the righteous fury that only can truly be understood by a Michigander when they think of Ohio. Curse you Buckeye State!
Advertisement. Article Continues Below.
7. One day someone will ask you where you live and you will find yourself pointing to your hand to show them. This will happen… a lot.
Source: Michigan Municipal League (MML)
8. You will pick a side: Flint-style or Detroit-style. The selection of a favorite Coney Dog style may be the most important decision in every Michigander’s life. Choose wisely.
Source: expecting t0 fly via flickr
9. But when it comes to pizza there is only one option: Detroit-style. Duh.
Source: @joefoodie via flickr
10. When the weekend comes your first stop won’t be a liquor store or a convenience store—and you sure as heck aren’t heading to the packie—you go to the party store for all your… ahem… party (read: booze) supplies.
Source: Danielle Walquist Lynch via Flickr
11. Just be careful not to get to crazy at the party store or you might end up walking face first into a doorwall. (Don’t feel bad bro… we’ve all been there.)
12. There will be Canadian coins mixed into your change. All. The. Time. Especially the pennies.
Source: daveynin via flickr
13. You’ll learn there’s no day so cold it can’t be fixed with a piping-hot and oh-so-tasty pasty…
Source: Jason Cartwright via flickr
14. And no day too hot that Superman ice-cream doesn’t make it all better. #BlueMoonNomNomNom
Source: Michael Bentley via flickr
15. Although with Michigan weather those days can be the same day. #ClimateControlStruggles
16. You’ll also learn that only in Michigan is possible to see Paradise and Hell freeze over in one day.
Source: Danielle Walquist Lynch via flickr
17. You’ll drop syllables like they’re going out of style. While we’re on the subject, Ja eat? No? Well C’meer. What can we say, Michiganders love a good tongue twister.
Source: Trish Hamme via flickr
18. U.M. or Michigan State? You will pick a side and you will stick to that decision until they put you in the ground.
Source: mattradickal via flickr
19. Fortunately, you will have solidarity with your fellow Michiganders when it comes to pro sports. Lions, Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings, for life. No fanbase is more loyal than that of The Great Lake State.
20. You will know true joy when you stumble on three other people who know how to play euchre. Shuffle ’em up!
Source: dennis via flickr
21. And nothing is more mouth-watering than the sweet, sweet Yooper fudge from Mackinac Island.
Source: Mary McGuire | Mackinac Design via flickr
22. Although paczkis will come in a close second.
Source: Teecycle Tim via flickr
23. You will become a total unapologetic snob about Michigan’s local brews. Mmm, Founders.
Source: JeepersMedia via flickr
24. You will drive south to Canada and wonder at this great big, miraculous and confusing world.
Source: Bruce Guenter via flickr
25. You will experience both of Michigan’s glorious seasons: winter and construction.
Flickr user Eric Merrill
26. You will “Serve the Curve” with Koegel on the Fourth of July.
27. You will look down and realize you have eaten a whole bag of Better Made Chips and all that’s left are greasy delicious crumbs at the bottom. You will be sad. Then you will pour those crumbs directly into your face. #NoRegrets
Source: Better Made Snack Foods via Facebook
28. There will be Deer Camp, and at Deer Camp there will be blood—oh and tradition, of course.
Source: bpkfishinglodge via flickr
29. You will have complicated feelings about Detroit…until some outsider insults it…
30. Because there is no pride like Michigander pride. No matter where you move, or where life takes you, you cannot take the Michigan love out of a Michigander.
Source: Courvair owner via flickr