1. San Jose Takes Cultural Diversity To The Extreme, And Then One Step Further
Fact — San Jose’s vietnamese population is the largest in the States.
Fact — San Jose’s hispanic population is 76th largest in the states on a percentage basis. Given that it’s the 10th biggest city overall, that probably means that San Jose is towards the top of that list, too.
All this adds up to San Jose being the most diverse city in the country. In our opinion, the city should use this fact as a bragging point more often.
2. Everyone In San Jose Has Their Personal Favorite Pho Place And Favorite Burrito Place
The South has biscuits. The northeast has Dunkin donuts. Texas has BBQ.
San Jose has the best damn Pho you’ve ever had. We’re talking 901 different options on Yelp. So we won’t pretend to pick the best, considering you probably wouldn’t agree any way.
Oh yeah, and the numerous varieties of Latino food are nothing to sneeze at either.
3. The Waters Are Dangerous In San Jose. It’s Crazy Shark Territory.
From October through May of every year, San Jose becomes home to millions of ravenous shark… fans.
In all our travels around the U.S., we’ve never seen a whole city so committed to an ice hockey team.
So even though the 10 year playoff streak ended this year, Shark fans still go to sleep with the image of Patrick Marleau in their eyes.
Oh, and the Kings still suck.
4. There Are Tech Nerds. Then There’s Everyone In San Jose.
Being in the heart of Silicon Valley has it perks:
- You have the latest gizmo years before anyone else
- You have the latest delivery service before anyone else
- You know a guy who knows a VC
- You know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that was an early employee at some major start up
You get part of the Silicon Valley ethos through osmosis.
5. San Jose Became The Silicon Behemoth Because It Fosters Creativity
San Jose’s art community mixes art with the tech influence that surrounds the area into a glorious mashup.
Take the SubZERO Festival as a prime example. We think it does a good job of summing the scene up in the words from its site — “SubZERO is a DIY, artistically bent, hi/lo-techno mashup where street meets geek.”
And you can only get that kind of experience in San Jose.
6. The Weather Doesn’t Get Better Than San Jose, And People There Seem Oblivious To It
San Jose’s weather reflects the ethos of the city: perfect in every way and completely unaware of it.
After living in San Francisco for four years, we can tell you that the weather there is decent, but San Jose blows it away.
With the water giving the area constantly awesome weather, you’d think people would brag about it more. But they don’t.
7. Everyone In San Jose Can Hike, Bike, And Stroll To Some Amazing Nature
Let’s take a quick look at the options immediately around San Jose:
- Alum Rock with over 100 years of history
- Bike up Mt. Hamilton
- Hike up Coyote Peak
- The view from Almaden Quicksilver County Park
And that’s just a limited sample of all the awesome around San Jose.
Not bad, not bad at all.